Tuesday, September 22, 2009

OCD & The News Can Make It Worse

Over the past several months, we have been inundated with bad news. Seems like every time I turn on the TV, someone else has passed, or some major tragedy has occurred. It has been one horrible year for news, especially in the entertainment industry. This year’s Academy Awards could use up the entire show for remembrances. My head is spinning from Michael Jackson, Farrah Fawcett, Natashia Richardson, David Carradine, The Travoltas, Ed McMahon, Walter Cronkite, Patrick Swayze - I could go on to fill up this entire page with people who have recently passed. I can’t even watch an Oxy Clean commercial without a feeling of horror. The media has saturated the airwaves with extensive coverage of all these events. This just brings home the reality right that we are mortal, and no matter how much money, fame, or riches we have, we are all the same in the end. It is a sobering realization.


Whether or not we are fans of these people is not the issue. The issue is that we cannot escape the torrent of despair that is raining down upon us. It seems to have a snowball effect. Bad news is emanating from the TV, radio, Internet, text messages, Twitter, Facebook, etc. Even my e-mail is filled with threatening chain letters saying I will be a victim of bad luck if I don’t forward it to 25 people. I delete all of them, but it’s ridiculous – I don’t need stress from e-mail. All this can become very depressing for everyone, but especially to emotionally sensitive people. Life is difficult enough at times just as it is, and besides the world news and the impact it has on society, many people have been hit hard by their own realities, and have been dealing with personal issues.

What we desperately need is a dose of good feelings. I wish that the local news would have a segment about happy things, but until it does, I will have to avoid it. I also refuse to read the horrible stories that have inundated my computer screen. Can’t someone give us a shot of hope and happiness? I wish that people would spread happy news the way they inform others about the bad things. If everyone did this, the mood of the collective consciousness would vastly improve.

I hope that everyone can find the happy things in their lives and focus on them. If you have any good news, please contact me.

1 comment:

Cindy Figgs said...

OMGosh... I totally agree. I try watching the news and its just sooo depressing! I want to keep up with whats going on in the world around me but everything on the news is just so negative, sad and heartbreaking! Is that the world we live in??! So Sad! and Youre right, they should totally have a Happy News Segment.
Oh and dont get me started on the chain emails... they stress me out... I usually delete them but sometimes Im guilty of forwarding them to my friends... just in case its true that Ill have bad luck for 10 yrs if I dont fwd them to 10 friends in the next 10 minutes!! lol
Heres some good news... You are Awesome... but we already new that! ;) Love ya! =)xoxo